Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Impossible & Never and Dying Star (2 Poems!)

I'm posting 2 poems, mostly because they're smallish and unpolished, and also because the longer one I wrote recently is a wee bit out there and I need to look at it again and figure out...well, what the hell some of the lines are talking about, I'm pretty sure I wasn't high at the time of its creation but those nonsense phrases suggest otherwise.  Anyways, here a couple of light-hearted little things I wrote.  The first one was inspired by my friend Christina, from a blog-post she wrote (she hasn't updated in a while so bug her to do that if you like her blog, cause hers is infinitely more helpful towards worldly affairs than mine!), and it's not perfect, needs a little more thought and meditation probably, but it's at least presentable I think.  The second one also needs more thought, but I'll (hopefully) hear from you guys if anything needs to be changed or if there are suggestions.


Considering that I'm in a poetry workshop this semester, I expect the next few weeks will mostly be poetry, but I'm rewriting a short story right now (while still going through a crisis of subject-material and style), so there could perhaps be another one of those soon enough...by then I expect to be wildly famous and have millions of readers.  Ha!  As I always say, comments/criticisms are welcome and appreciated, and I hope these were short enough so that, if they don't entertain, they're not a waste of your time.  Thanks for visiting my shadow of the internet!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Impossible and Never
by Matthew Stalbaum


Remember that impossible and never
Are biggish things that
Puff out their chests and hurumph and ah-ha!

While Maybe and Possibly – smallish
Though generous – will carry your hand
With a smile through the dust of your dreams 
 ---------------------------------------------------------
Dying Star
by Matthew Stalbaum


Last light
Flicker out, fade, rest
Let long smoky tendrils drift
Collide and spark, engulf
Into an i he she, who
Looks out at your brothers
And feels the kindred bond

2 comments:

  1. I love these! They're both like gems--small, but beautiful (almost, almost Dickinson-like with cummings' flair, but you know how I feel about Dickinson, and these are infinitely better than the weird stuff she writes). lol Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew!!! Sorry for posting so late on this one. I love both them so much! And I like how you can talk the messy words that I write and make it into something so beautiful!

    PS, you're my favorite poet ever, ever, ever!

    ReplyDelete

Criticism is always loved, even the negative stuff, so feel free to say something...