So yeah, I haven't posted here in a while! I've written a few poems since the last one I had here, but nothing I'm really happy with, and to be honest, few of the poems I've been posting here have been all that good too. My idea when it came to posting here once a week at least was that it would keep me writing, and I planned on having more of a variety of things, or at least more variation between short stories and poems. I have been writing short stories, though not as efficiently as I could be, and the poems I've been writing have been less out of a true feeling for the topic/subject and more as just something to show here for the weekly post, which really just makes a bigger backlog of poems that need serious revising.
It's funny that I wrote a blog recently about the myth of inspiration at my new writing blog: Wordswords (a place where I write about writing, no actual fiction or poetry there). I agree whole-heartedly about the myth of inspiration when it comes to fiction writing and prose, you need to write everyday if you really want to get better at writing, regardless of whether you feel like writing or not. I suppose the same goes with poetry - you need to keep writing it if you want to keep improving at it - but right now I don't have the time to think about poetry that much. I don't want to write a poem down in 10 minutes, then have to finish the reading I'm doing, and then haphazardly edit it later when I post it here. You get a shitty poem, and I get something that I won't even be able to revise again for weeks or months.
So I've come up with a new posting schedule for this blog: monthly stories, possibly bi-weekly poetry. I'm not happy with how slow it takes me to write a short story, and most of the stories I end up writing I become unhappy with anyway. Deadlines have always helped me, strangely enough, so I'm giving myself a monthly deadline for each story I work on. By the end of October, I plan on having an at least semi-polished short story to post here. Obviously it won't be perfect, but it'll be at the stage where it's ready for outside criticism anyways. Ray Bradbury could write a short story a week - sadly, I'm not him. But I want to be! So I figure if I keep up this pace, I'll slowly get better and more in-tuned with writing fiction prose, and maybe someday I'll crank out stories at that speed.
As for poetry, I will try to post every other week. I say try because, honestly, if I don't have anything good, I might not post. But for the most part I want to keep my poetic sensibilities active, so I will take my hand at writing poetry as much as possible, and I will read poetry more, and if I have multiple poems that I'm proud of, I will post them all. Also, if I have any poems written around the time I'm posting a short story, I will post them then too probably. Either way, I will try to keep things moving.
So yes, that's the story of this blog right now! Fret not you faithful readers (all none of you), I'm still posting weekly at Wordswords and Nobody's Rambler, so you can always get a consistent helping of my thoughts on whatever it is I'm rambling about each week. With all of that being explained, and a new goal in mind, I bid you adieu, perhaps to see you in 2 weeks, for sure to see you by Halloween!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Criticism is always loved, even the negative stuff, so feel free to say something...