Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Without Glasses (A Poem)

For some reason I'm finding myself really tired at night these days - probably from my body randomly waking me up at early hours of the morning and keeping me up, which leads me to consume huge amounts of coffee.  It's all a bad cycle.  My creative output lately has been kinda stagnant, but hopefully I'll have some time between the semester ending and potential jobs beginning when I can really work on some of the poem ideas I have written down.

As for this one, I've always wanted to write a poem about glasses.  I mean, how could I not want to?  They're such a great metaphor for clarity and all of that - which is why I didn't write any poems on glasses until this one.  I didn't want to write an obvious poem - like the shower poem I wrote a few months ago, I wanted to look at glasses in an interesting way.  I can't remember how, it might've been while randomly walking down the street or in the midst of a caffeine high (those are really good moments for poetry), I had the question in the middle of the poem: "should glasses even be worn at all?"  I gotta work on this a lot more, someday I'll probably just post a bunch of poem revisions here.  I hope you enjoy reading this draft though, and please leave any criticisms you have.  Au revoir!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Without Glasses
by Matthew Stalbaum


plotted and framed, the edges
are clear & solid & jagged
around the corners and beneath the curves,
until i begin to wonder

if glasses should be worn at all, or rather
the world be left to haze, incomplete
boundaries, numbness of sense
and the door blends with the window
as person with sky, until

a closer look finds
the outline that might have been
lost forever, though

i am convinced of a blurring
between worlds; without
glasses, my hand melts into the ink
myself lost in the sky, where one
begins where does one end?

1 comment:

  1. I had this really distinct image of blurry haziness while reading this; but I almost hate the feeling that comes with taking off my glasses or removing my contacts--the blurriness between the clarity. I hate groping towards things I can't quite see, that transformation of solidity into a meshing of indistinct color...and I don't think I'd be able to survive without outlines, everything separate from everything else. It's something I love to see you write about (of course), but to me, it's a scary idea. ><

    ReplyDelete

Criticism is always loved, even the negative stuff, so feel free to say something...