Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Washing Pains Away (A Poem)

This is another first draft of a poem, I haven't messed with it yet, I thought I'd post it in its raw form and see what people thought (plus I've been kind of busy and lazy lately to actually give it the thoughtful revision it really needs). The first two parts, with "the water falls" and "standing underneath...," are the only parts I'm a little shaky on, but the form of the whole thing needs a look over. Right now it's in a convenient form, so if it works then let me know, but if not then I'll give it some more thought.

I've wanted to write a shower poem for the longest time, since high school. The idea I wanted to address just kept changing. In high school I wanted to write some sort of story that gave across the idea that, no matter what our differences are, we all shower (even sounds like a high school idea). Then in freshman year I wanted to focus on the solitude of the shower, and I might try that too sometime. This year, a few weeks ago, I was thinking about how soothing showers are, how sometimes it really feels like they're washing everything away. The image came in my head as washing of all the dirt, but then I wondered if that dirt was necessary somehow, if maybe that's what actually made us all different, how we accumulate it. From there I wrote this, mostly in a blind spur, hence why the parentheses in that second part might seem weird. Let me know how it is, I'm really glad people are starting to leave me critiques!

In side/personal news, I applied to the Advanced Poetry Workshop here at NYU, won't know if I'm in until November 13th - the anticipation! I didn't take the Intermediate Poetry Workshop, so I really applied to it blind, but here's hoping for the best.

So leave comments and criticisms please, they're all appreciated, the good along with the bad.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Washing Pains Away
by Matthew Stalbaum

The water falls
the water falls…


and burns….

Standing underneath the soft rains
I’d wash it all off, the clothes (unweave the
Stitching from my skin and fingers, tear the
Patches from my knees), the dirt (it has
Come to shape my chin and my elbows and
My laugh), the dust (shed it like snake skin or
time), Skin (I grow cold, I grow cold),
Muscles (I did not fight, I did not stand, I
Only sat upon my hands), and the clean
White bones of me all (don’t all skeletons
Look alike, or do closer eyes find cracks) and

I will swirl down the drains and expect a
Ghost to stand where I was, but there will
Only be a breath, then a cough, then
Nothing but nothingness and nothingdom,
Not even loss or lament, and

I will wait for the bones to grow back and
The muscles and skin to grow back and
The dust to gather and the dirt to clod and
The clothes to crawl on like fur and
I will see how dirty I am to be something
And desire for cleanliness and purity and
Nothingness and nothingdom.

6 comments:

  1. how about Graceful Waters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only like the second stanza. I really think you have something going there. The style reflects the subject, and it sounds less emo and more productive. I think you should pursue the idea of unraveling in the water metaphor; what does it look like, and how does it relate? I think it can be developed... you rush too soon into a third and fourth stanza.

    My comments must sound SO mean, but you know me, I'm real. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first stanza. I honestly think it could be it's own poem.

    The second stanza I do not care for. Something about it just seems off. The content is fine, but the way it's written seems. . .I don't know. Just off. It doesn't quite go with the others.

    I also like the last two stanzas, especially the image of " will swirl down the drains and expect a Ghost to stand where I was" but the word "nothingdom" bothers me greatly. You express the other ideas pretty clearly, but here you resort to a made up word. I think you can find a way express what you want to without having to use "nothingdom".

    On a side note: Good luck with the Advanced Poetry Workshop. Hope you get in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, 2 conflicting critiques from my 2 best Jess friends...my head might explode! I will expand on the 2nd stanza, that's the one I was wondering about myself, if that one's more in depth then the last two might have even greater impact, all of this stuff about being washed away and then suddenly nothing.

    Jessey, I love making up words! Although it is a bit out of place if it's the only one, I would rather add more in than take it out. I like e.e. cummings, he plays with words all the time, what can I say...

    I had an idea after writing it of, for the 2nd stanza, breaking the lines so each detail is its own line, ideas on that? I'll also probably just envision it as a rain poem and see if that helps change how I write it, how does that sound?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm, I'm not sure how I feel about this one, Pazzo. On one hand, your imagery is really striking, but I guess I don't quite understand just what you're trying to convey here. The water is cleansing you and washing you away to nothing--but I can't grasp what the feeling is (it sounds like a passive acceptance of being washed into nothing, until only the soul is left), but then again, the beauty is in its strangeness, and that's something I really like. :)

    Keep writing! You'll always have an audience here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol, you always tell me to keep writing, I always will! I've invested too much hope to stop now...

    I did leave the intended feeling ambiguous, mostly because I wasn't exactly sure if I wanted to go for satiric/ironic or if I wanted to just get at the meaning, I at least wanted to get across that these "soft rains" are washing away everything, including the soul, so that there's literally NOTHING left, not even a soul, but like I said, it's a first draft, I'll rework it now that you guys gave me ideas. Thanks for the criticism! See, you CAN be critical!

    ReplyDelete

Criticism is always loved, even the negative stuff, so feel free to say something...