blue, still dark
with night, through your window
in the morning
when you haven't slept, blue too dark
to see by, blue shadows
and tired thoughts without the solace
of dreams, caught in blue
darkness, dark blue growing
to blue to light blue, birds
blue outside your window with bright
blue notes, blue morning
to watch rise with blue
thoughts, your empty
bedside, your strange life, day
in and day out blue sky
without rain, endless blue, solid
blue, blue canvass in the morning blue
brighter and brighter, blue
on blue, until eyes close
into darkness, morning
lighting it red, your
blue morning broken by
a white cloud
--Matthew Stalbaum, 9/15/11
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The poem pretty much describes it all - I came up with the idea after a night of intense insomnia where I didn't get a bit of sleep ("the morning when you haven't slept") and noticed the sky getting bluer and bluer with sunrise. I was already planning my blogpost on the Blues on my other blog, so I guess I had a lot of blue on my mind. It was interesting thinking of how Blue means so many different things to us, how the Blues are painful but fun at the same time, how dark blue can look like black but appear distinguished while light blue and sky blue are calming and cheerful.
Anyways, I thought it was a cool idea, I wrote the poem, and now you've read it (hopefully)! It was pretty fun to write too, you can kind of tell I started going crazy with just the sound of the word "blue" by the end. Almost hypnotically beautiful, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Criticism is always loved, even the negative stuff, so feel free to say something...