So, this week in my poetry class, my professor hurtled abstract questions at us for about an hour, and we jotted them down as they came while writing about whichever ones intrigued us. The first one was a little bit nerve-racking, and we didn't get a second question for a few minutes so the pressure on that one was fairly intense, but as more came it got easier to let the words flow. This was the second one I wrote, based around the question, "How have you managed to be in 2 places at once?" I always think about the nature of home and belonging when I'm traveling between Maryland and New York - which one is home, are either of them really? I began the poem with abstract questions based around the initial one, but decided not to include that with the more concrete image I ended up focusing on.
This is still a very rough draft, so this is mostly unchanged from when I wrote it in class under the gun of coffee and the desire to answer other questions. All I did really was actually maneuver the line breaks with more purpose in mind - the original draft was actually just written in prose lines, with no breaks - and cleared up some subject/object stuff. I kept the title because I think it works rather well. Overall, it seems nice and compact now, but now I'm always wondering if I can complicate things further, so if I think of anything along that vein I'll add some lines. But let me know what you think, please! Hope you enjoyed this week's poem, here's to more next week.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"2 Places at Once"
by Matthew Stalbaum
As I am coming home on the bus, my Dad waits
to pick me up, and when he asks how
close I am to home, I'm never sure
what to say. I'm only sure
of the pitch black
outside the window, and the small lights from cars
streaking by, too weak to light
the exit signs and let me know where
I am. And even when I arrive, I'm never
sure that the bus has stopped
moving.
I really like this; you answered the question in the simplest and most profound way possible. Beauty is in simplicity, after all. :)
ReplyDelete