Monday, January 18, 2010

Fingerprints and Impressions (A Poem)

I've got mixed feelings about this poem.  I was pretty proud of myself when I wrote it - it's closer to the kind of style that I want, but it also reeks of e.e. cummings, and though it's practically impossible to hide his influence on my poetry these days, this one gets close to feeling like I plagiarized him somehow.  I want to write in a style that's clearly my own, but e.e. cummings is my model for now.  Let me know what you all think, good direction, wrong way?


As for content, it's a bit abstract but I think the ideas are there to find.  All I'll say more on that is that it began as a description of sensation while drunk ("Let the edges fray"), but, obviously, grew a little more complex than all that.  So please leave me comments and criticisms, let me know if you have no idea what it's about or if the style sucks or something doesn't work for you or you just plain don't like me - constructive criticism is best, but if my existence offends you, let me know and I'll work on that!  Anyways, thanks for reading, hope it's not a pain!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fingerprints and Impressions 
by Matthew Stalbaum


Let the edges fray, let them
As straight turns to curve bends to
Angular mechanisms and rounded lips

Let the flowers quiver, the fields blur
Overexposed in sunly exuberance like
Starshine, or faint, ghostly starlight,

Let the ear sing and whisper, the
Tongue flick off a color let it all
Swirl and swish and twirl and wish
All things sing and shinespeak all

Fingers that brushed, skin
Tumbled against and matted with
Sweat and flesh, sweet, and breath

Weighed with a heart a heart a touch
With a single beat from a single one
A you a me a we a us a them a that a those

Let the edges fray, let them
Quiver and blur with touch and kiss
To sing and swish and brush and tumble
And beat with love (a moment
a life)

1 comment:

  1. I like it! It's abstract like you said, but so full of feeling--like, this is a terrible analogy, but you know those mind-altering drugs that are said to lay the entire universe at your feet and make your senses hyper-aware of everything? That's almost what it felt like, reading this--fragmented, but each fragment is so full of meaning. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Criticism is always loved, even the negative stuff, so feel free to say something...