Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Write a Sonnet (A Poem)

In keeping with some semblance of regularity, here's a poem I wrote in all of probably 15 minutes for a poetry site online. The catch for the submissions of each month to this particular site is that they have to conform to some prompt that they give. This month's prompt was to pick some phrase from a list of 40 they posted, use that as the title of the poem, and go from there. I kept the site in my toolbar bookmarks so I'd remember to eventually take my shot at it, and on Sunday I finally had enough time to spit one out! Honestly, I'm not sure how good this poem is. For one thing, I don't talk so much about sonnets, just poetry in general - this was definitely one of those cases where I saw the title, and I immediately thought up the first line, and from there I was in a bit of a trance and didn't think much about how it all pertained to the title that I was basing it all on. I mean, I'm sure it's not a terrible poem, I've written much worse (thank you high school!), but I never really gave it any revision except for a quick read over, I haven't even read over it posting it here! Then again, since it's so fresh, I doubt I'd change much yet, I usually wait longer. My biggest issue is just the line breaks, I didn't think much about them, whether I should format it all differently or not, and so aside from a few fixes it mostly just stayed the way it spilled out of my head.

Which is where you lucky readers come in! As all, comments are appreciated, so if there's any suggestions then they'd be
super appreciated, and would be rewarded with love and respect and other intangible forms of payment. The hardest part about writing is actually just as you've finished, because you have no idea if what you've just made fully works or not - maybe a passage is a little unclear, or there are some lines that you loved while writing but, ultimately, aren't really necessary. That's what critiquing is for! Unfortunately I'm not in any poetry circles, nor am I currently enrolled in any poetry classes/workshops. All I've got is a tiny little speck of a blog on the vast universe of the internet. So if you've got some time and some thoughts about the poem, please leave them in the comment section on the way out, cause hearing you suck is better than hearing nothing at all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Write a Sonnet
by Matthew Stalbaum

but don't just write a sonnet, don't
drone your rhymes and dull ink scratches,
can you perhaps smell it, let the words
drift in the air to catch wandering
people with a taste for your thoughts
or hear each line sing like a sheet
of music, with sweet harmonies in all
their majors and minors, or touch it
just place your hand on the page and feel
the bumps and dips and mountains and valleys
of each feeling and then soar through them
and go along strangely colored skies,
let fly your hands in the clouds and snatch
godliness and goodliness and sweetliness
from them or for them, and then see your
sonnet, standing or sitting, smiling or frowning,
but surely being, like a child and just as
naive and frail, and then send it off as
you should, into sunrises and sets...

but don't ever just write a sonnet,
can you live it?

2 comments:

  1. I fail at giving anything you write good criticism--to me, this is perfect. I honestly don't think you need to change anything! (Call me useless when it comes to this, but 'tis the honest truth).

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are one of the cutest people i know. i think you should know... this is amazingggggg. keep on writing these poems, honestly they will always be perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Criticism is always loved, even the negative stuff, so feel free to say something...